• Mar. 2 - Men's Basketball vs RVWiley College - L 64-68 - recap - stats
  • Feb. 25 - Men's Basketball vs 1Louisiana State University-Alexandria - L 72-79 - recap
  • Feb. 24 - Men's Basketball vs 12Louisiana State University-Shreveport - W 69-65 - recap - stats
  • Feb. 18 - Men's Basketball vs Paul Quinn College - W 87-79 - recap - stats
  • Feb. 15 - Men's Basketball vs Huston-Tillotson University - W 106-81 - recap - stats
  • Feb. 11 - Men's Basketball vs University of the Southwest - W 108-94 - recap - stats
  • Feb. 9 - Men's Basketball vs Langston University - L 73-96 - recap - stats
  • Feb. 4 - Men's Basketball vs Jarvis Christian College - W 88-69 - recap - stats
  • Feb. 3 - Men's Basketball vs 7Wiley College - W 79-64 - recap - stats
  • Jan. 28 - Men's Basketball vs Texas College - W 80-59 - recap - stats
News Photo
Brock Hunter scored 10 points for the Saints.
University of the Incarnate Word
Men's Basketball - Sat, Jan. 4, 2014 - by Patricia Constantin

SAN ANTONIO (Jan. 4, 2014) – After three weeks since their last game, the Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) Saints finally hit the court this afternoon only to lose to NCAA D1 University of the Incarnate Word 100-85.

The loss drops the Saints to 5-6 overall, while the Cardinals improve to 12-1.

The game started with the Saints taking a quick lead, but the Cardinals took over at 5-4 to lead through the 14th minute. Christian Wood-Dvorak made four free throws and a field goal to give the Saints back the lead at 15-13, and the Cardinals shot back to lead 17-15.  The Saints kept the game close through the rest of the half, not allowing the Cardinals to lead by more than 10. With five minutes left on the clock, Terrence Berry's layup took the Saints to within two points at 26-28, but some costly turnovers and fouls gave the Cardinals the advantage as they went on a 10-2 run to lead 38-28. Senior Xavier Roberson, who had scored 12 points in the half, received his third foul to close out the half with the Cardinals leading 46-36.

The second half didn't start out well for the Saints, as the Cardinals continued to lead by double digits. At the sixth-minute mark, UIW had its biggest lead of the game at 78-59.  The Saints, the NAIA's leader in 3-pointers, tried to get them to work, but with every 3-pointer scored, UIW would come back with field goals of their own. Within the last five minutes of the game, the Saints sank five 3-pointers, but they weren't enough to conquer the Cardinals.

Roberson ended with 23 points for the Saints, including 8-of-22 from the field, 5-of-14 from 3-point range and 2-of-5 from the free-throw line. Wood-Dvorak finished with 13 points, including 4-of-10 from the field, 1-of-3 from 3-point range and 4-of-4 from the charity stripe. Dylan Elias scored 12 points, and Brock Hunter, 10 points. Marcus Thompson added eight assists and six steals.

The Saints shot 40 percent from the field (29/74), 27 percent from 3-point range (11/40) and 73 percent from the free-throw line. They committed 17 turnovers while forcing 21.

UIW shot 57 percent from the field (33/58), 27 percent from 3-point range (4/15) and 77 percent from the free-throw line (30/39). Kyle Hittle was his team's high scorer with 31 points. Denzel Livingston scored 17, while teammates Anthony Horton and Mitchell Badillo each scored 14 points.

The Saints will return to the court on Jan. 10, when they travel to Houston to play the University of St. Thomas.

M - Basketball