|Huston-Tillotson (Texas) ( 3-12/3-6)||0||0||0|
|Our Lady of the Lake (Tex ( 8-8-1/5-3)||4||2||6|
|San Antonio, TX|
|1||06:43||Robert Alexe (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|1||08:17||Angel De La Garza (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|1||10:50||Robert Alexe (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|1||16:47||Robert Alexe (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|2||54:26||Elias Cortes (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|2||57:29||Angel De La Garza (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|Huston-Tillotson (Texas)||Indv. Leaders||Our Lady of the Lake (Tex|
|None||Goals||#23 Robert Alexe - 3|
|None||Assists||#21 Elias Cortes - 4|
|2 Players (#11,#17) - 1||Shots||#23 Robert Alexe - 9|
|#25 Jose Ibarra - 11||Saves||#2 Zachery Brewer - 1|
|Huston-Tillotson (Texas)||Team Statistics||Our Lady of the Lake (Tex|
|2 (1)||Shots (on goal)||32 (17)|
SAN ANTONIO (Nov. 1, 2014) – The Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) men's soccer team dominated Huston-Tillotson University (HTU) in a 6-0 win, while tallying its fourth shutout of the season.
The Saints are now 5-3 in the Red River Athletic Conference and 8-8-1 overall, while HTU drops to 3-6 in conference and 3-12 overall. The University of Texas at Brownsville (9-0/18-0) has clinched the conference regular season, and the University of St. Thomas (8-1/11-3-1), Wiley College (5-2/7-3-3), the Saints, LSU-Alexandria (5-3/7-7-2) and Texas College (3-5-1/4-11-3) have qualified for the conference tournament that begins on Nov. 7. No. 6 seed Texas College will play the No. 3 seed, and the No. 5 seed will play the No. 3 seed. The No. 3, 4 and 5 seed teams as well as times and locations for games will be determined early this week. The No. 1 seed Brownsville will play the lowest remaining seed from the quarterfinals round at 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 14, while the No. 2 seed St. Thomas will play the highest remaining seed at 8 p.m. The championship game will be held on Nov. 15, and all games will take place at the Houston Amateur Sports Park in Houston. The tournament will be hosted by St. Thomas.
FINAL: OLLU 6, HTU 0
GOALS: (OLLU) Robert Alexe (SR/Chicago, Ill.), 7th minute, 11th minute, 17th minute
(OLLU) Angel De la Garza (SO/Brownsville, Texas), 9th minute
(OLLU) Elias Cortes (JR/Houston, Texas), 55th minute, 58th minute
THE BASICS: The Saints started off the game with four consecutive goals. This proved to be too much for the Rams to handle. The second half saw a continuation of the Saints' superb offense but also showcased a great defense that limited the Rams to only two shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Robert Alexe opened up the scoring for the Saints in the seventh minute of the game when Elias Cortes connected a perfect pass to the left side of the goal.
- Less than two minutes later, Angel De la Garza headed in a pass from Elias Cortes, recording a goal in the ninth minute of the game.
- Cortes connected a pass high enough for Alexe to head the ball in the goal in the 11th minute.
- Alexe recorded a hat trick after challenging the goalkeeper one-on-one. He found the back of the net with a textbook pass from Sergio Gonzalez (JR/Paramount, Calif.).
- Cortes started off the scoring in the second half of the game. Javier Lopez (SR/San Benito, Texas) provided Cortes with a pass that led him directly to the goal in the 55th minute.
- De la Garza wrapped up the scoring for the Saints. He capitalized on a perfect pass from Cortes and found the back of the net in the 58th minute.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Saints totaled a remarkable 32 total shots while the Rams recorded two. Of the 32 shots taken, 17 were on goal.
- HTU's goalkeeper Jose Ibarra recorded 11 saves in the match. OLLU goalkeeper Zachery Brewer (SR/Denton. Texas) recorded one.
- OLLU and HTU each committed eight fouls.
COMMENTS FROM SENIORS
Marcelo Chapa (SR/San Antonio, Texas) on his last home game: "I'm proud of being a part of this team. It's been a great four years."
Robert Alexe on his hat trick: "I was fortunate enough to score in my last home game, and I have to give all of the glory to God."
Zachery Brewer on the Saints soccer team: "This team is a good group of guys. I have only been here for two years, but I have enjoyed the coaches and players."
Javier Lopez on SeniorS' Day: "It's a bittersweet feeling because I am excited to see what's next, but I do not want to have to leave my team. Overall, it's been a great experience."
UP NEXT: The men's soccer team will be preparing for the quarterfinals that will take place Nov. 7-9. Matchups, game times and dates will be determined early next week.