SPECIAL FEATURE: Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) Saints athletics enjoyed many memorable accomplishments in 2014, including conference titles in women's basketball, women's soccer and softball. Athletic Director Jack Hank was named NAIA/Under Armour Athletic Director of the Year and the program earned the Red River Athletic Conference All-Sports Award.
The Saints also welcomed new head coach Freddy Rodriguez, who will lead OLLU's inaugural baseball team that begins its season next month. Former assistant men's basketball coach Ryan Wall was named head coach in 2014, and the Saints hired new assistant coaches, Amorrow Morgan – men's basketball; Katie Novak – women's basketball; Terry Smith – cross-country/track & field; Lance Pulliam – volleyball; and Jeremy Flores – baseball. Plus, the Saints have added new assistant athletic trainer Casey Hebenstreit and new sports information assistant Luis A. Lárraga.
OLLU leads the Red River Athletic Conference in bringing free live broadcasts of home games for men's and women's soccer, men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball and women's softball, and beginning this year, men's baseball. In addition, some away games will be live streamed (check schedules for details). Live stats are also available for all home competitions.
The Saints launched its brand-new athletics web site and 2014 was marked by exciting stories highlighting the moments that defined the successes of the athletics program. An overview of the website from January-December 2014 is showcased below:
- Top 5 most viewed stories:
- "OLLU names Freddy Rodriguez as head coach for inaugural baseball team" – 2,713 (May 7, 2014)
- "OLLU women's soccer signs three freshmen" – 2,534 (Jan. 14, 2014)
- "OLLU softball announces signing of nine student-athletes" – 1,991 (May 22, 2014)
- "OLLU names Ryan Wall as head men's basketball coach" – 1,952 (May 5, 2014)
- "OLLU men's basketball announces signing of four players" – 1,714 (July 25, 2014)
- Most views: September – 70,654
- Fewest views: June – 37,048
- Most visits: November – 15,496
- Fewest visits: June – 8,129
- Most visitors: November – 9,267
- Fewest visitors: June – 5,190
- Most 1st time visitors: September – 7,546
- Fewest 1st time visitors: June – 4,334
- Cities with most page views: San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Dallas, McAllen, El Paso, College Station, Corpus Christi, New Braunfels, Brownsville, Fort Worth, Plano, Waco
- States with most page views: Texas, California, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Georgia, New York, Arizona, Mississippi, Colorado
The Saints Facebook page reached 2,000 likes in November. More people visited the site between September and December, with the most being in November. The majority of people engaged on the page are from the United States, Brazil and Mexico. Fans are from the following cities in this order: San Antonio, Houston, El Paso, McAllen, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Edinburg, Brownsville and Laredo. The following are the page's most popular posts:
- OLLU's Cassandra Valent selected as conference 'Hitter of the Week' article on Sept. 23 -- 2,509 people engaged, 222 likes, 22 comments and 8 shares
- OLLU's Gloriana Villarreal named 2014 Daktronics-NAIA Volleyball Scholar Athlete article on Dec. 5 -- 3,518 people engaged, 108 likes, 18 comments, 4 shares
- 2014 softball team receives their championship rings photo album on Dec. 6 -- 3,038 people engaged, 191 likes, 12 comments, 10 shares
- Nelly Flores is this week's #BigBlueSpotlightAthlete on Dec. 15 -- 2,129 people engaged, 138 likes, 22 comments, 2 shares
The Saints Instagram page (OLLUniversity_Saints) reached 1,000 followers and is following 903. The page posted 2,169 photos this year. The most popular photos were:
- Spurs Dancing Usher 'has become a thing' -- 143 likes
- #OLLUSoccer -- Red River Athletic Conference Regular Season Champions -- 132 likes
The Saints Twitter page has sent out 9,564 tweets, is following 1,635, and has 1,190 followers.
On the Saints YouTube page, 59 percent of viewers were male and 41 percent were female. Last year, OLLU had 11,039 views from people in the following countries (in this order): United States, Australia, Mexico, United Kingdom and Slovenia. The most popular videos were:
- OLLU Saints Alumni -- A Love Story (Eddie and Sarah) on Jan. 7, 2014 -- 1,355 views
- Our Lady of the Lake University's Xavier Roberson on KABB-TV's Maximum Sports on March 2, 2014 -- 731 views
The OLLU Athletics Department looks forward to another successful year in 2015! #GoBigBlue