KANSAS CITY, MO. (Feb. 13, 2018) – Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) improved to No. 14 in the 2017-2018 NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll, the national office announced on Tuesday. The Saints improved from No. 18 in the last poll released Jan. 30.
Shawnee State became the third team this year to overtake the No. 1 spot.
Joining the Saints in the Top 25 Poll from the Red River Athletic Conference are LSU-Shreveport, which is No. 13. In the conference poll, the Pilots are in first, followed by the Saints.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
- The Saints are on a seven-game winning streak.They are ranked first in the NAIA in scoring offense per game (88.462), in turnover margin (11.462) and in total scoring offense (2300); fifth in steals (13.115/341); sixth in total 3-point field goals made (207); eighth in scoring margin (17.500); and 10th in 3-point field goals made per game (7.962) and 3-point field goal percentage (.353).
- This is the first time that Shawnee has ever been ranked No. 1 in the Coaches' Top 25 Poll
- Shawnee State's only losses came at the hands of Taylor University, Indiana Wesleyan and Bethel early in the season.
- There were three polls that joined the Top 25 this week: No. 16 Central Methodist, No. 22 Loyola and No. 24 Science & Arts.
- Oklahoma City holds the longest active streak in the Top 25 with 244 total appearances dating back to 1997-1998 school year.
- Union and Vanguard are the only programs to have spent an entire season ranked No. 1 (Union: 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011) (Vanguard: 2005-2006, 2006-2007).
- Union leads all NAIA school with 53 No. 1 rankings. Oklahoma City is second with 50 and Vanguard is third with 44.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team's ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the team appears on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered "receiving votes."
- The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-2017 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
-For the complete ratings calendar, click here.
2017-2018 NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll – No. 5 (Feb. 13)
|RANK||WEEK||SCHOOL [FIRST PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||2||Shawnee State ||23-3||219|
|14||18||Our Lady of the Lake||19-7||126|
|24||NR||Science & Arts||21-4||59|
Dropped from the rankings: No. 20 Martin Methodist, No. 12 Baker, No. 19 Providence
Others receiving votes: Martin Methodist, 54, Baker 39, The Masters 29, Providence 16, William Penn 14, Mid-America Christian 7, Cumberland 3, John Brown 3