KANSAS CITY, MO. (Dec. 4, 2018) – The Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) women's basketball team jumped to No. 12 in the first 2018-2019 Division I Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll.
Vanguard remains No. 1 spot for the second time in a row. in the 2018-19 NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll.
Red River Athletic Conference opponents LSU-Alexandria received 15 votes and Huston-Tillotson University marked nine votes.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
- Vanguard has opened the season with an unblemished record of 7-0.
- OLLU played several then-ranked teams up through the present. They fell to No. 6 Wayland Baptist University (now No. 3) and defeated No. 10 Oklahoma City University 89-81 (then No. 10). The Saints defeated (RV) Dillard University (now No. 25) 94-66.
- The Saints are scheduled to play several top-ranked teams later this month. On Dec. 19, they will play No. 9 University of Montana-Western, No. 18 Rocky Mountain College on Dec. 20 and No. 8 Carrol College on Dec. 21.
- OLLU has made the Top 25 Poll every year since the 2012-2013 season. The women's highest ranking was No. 1 in 2015-2016 season. They have earned a top five ranking 10 times, a top 10 ranking (6th-10th) 12 times, a top 15 ranking (11th-15th) 19 times and a top 25 ranking (16th-25th) 26 times.
- New to the poll this week: No. 15 Talladega, No. 20 William Penn, No. 23 Baker) and No. 25 Dillard
- Oklahoma City holds the longest active streak in the Top 25 with 247 total appearances dating back to 1997-98 school year.
- Union and Vanguard are the only programs to have spent an entire season ranked No. 1 (Union: 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11) (Vanguard: 2005-06, 2006-07).
- Union leads all NAIA school with 53 No. 1 rankings. Oklahoma City is second with 50 and Vanguard is third with 46.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team's ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the team appears on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered "receiving votes."
- The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete rating calendar, click here.
2018-2019 NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll – No. 1 (Dec. 4)
|RANK||WEEK||SCHOOL [FIRST PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|3||6||Wayland Baptist (||6-0||201|
|12||15||Our Lady of the Lake||5-1||147|
Others receiving votes: Lewis-Clark State 39, William Woods 32, Mid-America Christian 31, LSU Alexandria 15, Clarke 10, Xavier 10, Huston-Tillotson 9, William Jessup 6, Faulkner 3, Georgetown 3