|Wayland Baptist (Texas) 29-6||30||22||17||24||93|
|Our Lady of the Lake (Tex 27-6||25||22||20||29||96|
|Mar. 15, 2019|
|Wayland Baptist (Texas)||Indv. Leaders||Our Lady of the Lake (Tex|
|#13 Maci Merket - 30||Points||#22 Lena Wilson - 25|
|#13 Maci Merket - 11||Rebounds||#25 Destinee King - 13|
|#01 Morgan Bennett - 9||Assists||#5 Patience Okpe - 6|
|Wayland Baptist (Texas)||Team Statistics||Our Lady of the Lake (Tex|
|41.6% (32 - 77)||Field Goals %||41.4% (29 - 70)|
|45.7% (16 - 35)||3 Point Field Goals %||20% (3 - 15)|
|54.2% (13 - 24)||Free Throws||83.3% (35 - 42)|
|9||2nd Chance Pts||7|
BILLINGS, MONT. (March 15, 2019) – The Our Lady of the Lake University women's basketball team played a close game throughout 40 minutes, sometimes leading, sometimes trailing, but never giving up their composure against the Wayland Baptist University Flying Queens. Their team effort was rewarded with an impressive 96-93 win to advance to the round of eight – the first in program history. They are set to play Campbellsville University on Saturday at 7 p.m. central.
Head Coach Christopher Minner commented, "What a fantastic win for our program. We kept our composure and energy up the whole game. We ran them off the 3-point line in the second half and that made a huge difference. We had great execution down the stretch. The big shot at the end and getting key defensive stops were also a huge factor. We controlled the tempo and wore them down. We just need to keep pressuring the ball and good things will happen. We are so proud of our team but great things are still ahead of us."
Earlier this season, the Saints lost to the Flying Queens 77-101.
- The Saints' Mikki Flores (SR/San Antonio, Texas) hit a corner three with 2.4 seconds left to vault OLLU into a quarterfinal berth.
- The Saints had three players score 20 points or more. Destinee King (SR/Antelope, Calif.) recorded a 22-point 10 rebound double-double.
- Wayland Baptist attempted 77 shots. The last time a team attempted 75 or more shots was when Our Lady of the Lake did in it on March 15, 2018.
- Both teams scored over 90 points, last time that happened was March 14, 2018 when Central Methodist (Mo.) scored 98 points.
- Our Lady of the Lake went 35-42 from the free-throw line. The last time a team made more than 25 was on Montana Western made 28 on March 17, 2018. The Last time a team attempted more than 40 free-throws was March 14, 2012 when Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) attempted 49.
Lena Wilson (JR/Converse, Texas) led the Saints' offense with 25 points. She made 8-of-19 from the field, 2-of-2 3-pointers and 7-of-7 from the free-throw line. Destinee King added 22 points and 13 rebounds – her second double-double in two days. Patience Okpe (JR/Benue, Nigeria) added 21 points. Regina Sheffield (SR/Menifee, Calif.) also added 10 rebounds, all on defense.
Wayland was led by Maci Merket, who had 30 points and 11 rebounds.
Inside the box
The Saints went 29-of-70 from the field for 41.4 percent, 3-of-15 from 3-point range for 20 percent and 15-of-35 free throws for 83.3 percent. Wayland shot 32-of-77 from the field for 41.6 percent, 16-of-35 from 3-point range for 45.7 percent and 13-of-24 from the charity stripe for 54.2 percent.
The Saints forced 19 turnovers, while committing 13.