SAN ANTONIO (Aug. 3, 2020) - The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) has announced the 2020 NAIA Men ITA Scholar-Athletes and All-Academic Teams. Academia is a key aspect of the college tennis experience. Collegiate tennis players add to the rich intellectual community found on college campuses across the nation. The Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) men's tennis team has been recognized, as well as Gabriel Braga, Artur Etzberger, Caio Ravagnani, Sebastian Rodriguez, Murilo Salviato and Vinicius Silva. This is the first time the Saints have earned ITA academic awards.
Student-athletes continue to exceed expectations in the classroom and on the court. In 2020, 225 NAIA male student-athletes were named an ITA Scholar-Athlete and 44 men's tennis programs were awarded the All-Academic Team distinction.
To be named an ITA Scholar-Athlete, one must meet the following requirements:
- have a grade point average of at least 3.5 (on a 4.00 scale) for the current academic year
- be listed on the institutional eligibility form
To be named an ITA All-Academic Team, programs must meet the following requirements:
- have a team grade point average of 3.2 or above (on a 4.00 scale),
- all student-athletes included should be listed on the institutional eligibility form, and
- all varsity letter winners should be factored into the cumulative team GPA for the current academic year
The Saints men's team earned a 3.374 GPA. Braga marked a 4.0 GPA, Etzberger, a 3.5, Ravagnani, a 3.8, Rodriguez, a 3.5, Murilo, a 3.7 and Silva, a 3.8.