|Southwest (N.M.) ( 2-5-1/0-2)||0||1||1|
|Our Lady of the Lake (Tex ( 4-4-1/2-0)||3||2||5|
|San Antonio, TX|
|1||24:05||Marco Perales (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|1||25:08||Jorge Cantu (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|1||36:02||Jorge Cantu (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|2||65:14||Edrian Negrete (Southwest (N.M.))|
|2||66:19||Robert Alexe (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|2||83:55||Giovani Sierra (Our Lady of the Lake (Tex)|
|Southwest (N.M.)||Indv. Leaders||Our Lady of the Lake (Tex|
|#15 Edrian Negrete - 1||Goals||#22 Jorge Cantu - 2|
|#21 Nolan Davis - 1||Assists||4 Players - 1|
|#15 Edrian Negrete - 3||Shots||5 Players - 3|
|#30 Brandon Rodriguez - 7||Saves||#0 Jose Gomez - 2|
|Southwest (N.M.)||Team Statistics||Our Lady of the Lake (Tex|
|8 (3)||Shots (on goal)||23 (12)|
SAN ANTONIO (Oct. 4, 2014) – The Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) men's soccer team won its second consecutive conference game after defeating the University of the Southwest (USW) at home.
FINAL: OLLU 5, USW 1
GOALS: (OLLU) Marco Perales (SO/Edinburg, Texas), 25th minute
(OLLU) Jorge Cantu (SR/Gustavo Diaz Ordaz, Mexico), 26th minute, 37th minute
(USW) Edrian Negrete, 66th minute
(OLLU) Robert Alexe (SR/Chicago, Ill.), 67th minute
(OLLU) Giovani Sierra (JR/Brownsville, Texas), 84th minute
THE BASICS: The Saints set the tempo from the first minute and took 25 minutes to break down the Mustang defense. Once the first goal was scored the Saints took full control of the match and never looked in any danger of losing it.
YOU KNEW IT WAS OVER WHEN…
The Saints netted their third goal in the first half. The Mustangs were not able to trouble the Saints defenders.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the 25th minute, Elias Tamburini (FR/Helsinki, Finland) delivered a low cross from the left that Jorge Cantu left for Marco Perales to tap in and open the scoring.
- Just a minute later Cantu found the back of the net after Elias Cortes (SR/Houston, Texas) found him on the far post for the easy finish.
- Cantu scored his second of the game in the 37th minute. A loose ball fell inside the box for him to score after a shot by Sebastian Luehr (JR/Flensburg, Germany) was deflected.
- The Saints had the match under control, but in the 66th minute Edrian Negrete took advantage of a mistake by OLLU's Zachery Brewer (SR/Denton. Texas) when trying to clear the ball.
- A minute later Robert Alexe converted a penalty kick to restore the three-goal lead after USW goalkeeper Brandon Rodriguez tackled Jonathan Garay (SO/Houston, Texas) inside the box.
- Giovani Sierra closed out the scoring in the 84th minute. Juan Carlos Vasquez (SO/Naples, Fla.) provided the assist.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- OLLU outshot USW on the match 23 to 8. Twelve of the 23 matches for the Saints were on target while only three for the Mustangs.
- OLLU's Zachery Brewer was the winning goalkeeper for the Saints, although he was replaced in the second half by Jose Gomez (SO/Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico). Brewer had no saves in the match and Gomez recorded two.
- USW committed nine fouls throughout the match while OLLU had 12.
- Three players for the Mustangs and two from the Saints received yellow cards.
A WORD FROM THE HEAD COACH SHANE HURLEY
On his team's performance:
"I think we came out highly motivated. Our guys came out and executed well which created a lot of problems for their back four."
On next road trip:
"We really have to look at the scouting reports and see how those teams are playing, but it just comes down to managing ourselves and having a good attitude. It doesn't matter who we are playing, we have to play like a championship caliber team game by game."
The men's soccer team will travel to Muskogee, Okla. where it will look to keep an unbeaten record in conference play against Bacone College on Oct. 9. The game is scheduled to kickoff at 3 p.m.